Areas of Practice:

Elder Law
Estate Planning
Wills and Trusts
Estate Administration
Trust Administration
Real Estate


  There are many types of housing options for seniors who need help in Colorado.  If you are able to remain in your home, there are many services available and there are facilities for those who need more help which include congregate living, assisted living, nursing facilities and hospice care.  Some of the services available to seniors who need assistance include medical care, eating and meal preparation, laundry, housekeeping, transportation and bathing.  Not all services are available everywhere in Colorado.  Contact your local Area Agency on Aging or Social Services Agency for information.  In this article I will summarize different types of housing options available.

            Independent Living is designed for people who are socially and functionally independent most of the time.  They are for people who are capable of moving about, taking care of their own personal hygiene, preparing and eating their own meals, performing most housekeeping tasks and taking their own medication.  These people are able to reason, identify and meet their needs and deal appropriately with other people.

            Congregate Living refers to living in private quarters in a larger facility.  This type of facility is designed for persons who are frail, chronically ill or socially isolated but not significantly impaired socially or functionally.  These people do not need 24-hour supervision.  It is a more secure environment with at least one meal per day available as well as some transportation and housekeeping assistance.  Usually these facilities provide off-site social activities.  These types of facilities are usually called senior housing or retirement communities.

            Assisted living facilities are designed for people who need help with activities of daily living such as bathing, transportation, eating and or dressing.  People who live in assisted living facilities may have some confusion or memory loss.  Nursing supervision is not required.  Assisted living may be available at many facilities including retirement communities, nursing homes or adult foster care homes.

            Nursing facilities are recommended for people who need daily care and supervision of a nurse.  A nursing facility provides 24-hour care and medication administration as well as meals and assistance with all activities of daily living, laundry and housekeeping services.

            Hospice care is available for terminally ill people who want medical services for symptom management and pain relief.  These services can be provided in your home or a hospice facility of a nursing home or hospital.

This article was written by Tamra K Waltemath of Tamra K. Waltemath, P.C.  This information is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.  For specific questions, you should consult a qualified attorney.

Tamra K. Waltemath is an elder law attorney focusing on wills, trusts, estate and trust administration, probate and non-probate transfers, guardianships and conservatorships.  She can be contacted at:  Tamra K. Waltemath, P.C., 3843 West 73rd Avenue, Westminster, CO  80030; 303-657-0360; or visit her website at:


The Henry Law Office Building
3843 West 73rd Avenue
Westminster, Colorado 80030

Open 8:00-6:00 Monday through Thursday
Ph: 303-657-0360
FAX: 303-429-2552